Recipe of Blueberry Pancakes:
- 1 cup (130 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons (28 grams) granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Fresh or unthawed frozen blueberries(preferably wild blueberries)
- Plus extra melted butter or oil for greasing the pan.
How to prepare:
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and melted butter.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and then pour in the egg mixture, all at once, and stir (with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon) just until combined.
- The batter should have some small lumps. (Do not over mix the batter or the pancakes will be tough.) (The pancake batter can be covered and stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.)
- Heat a frying pan or griddle over medium high heat until a few sprinkles of water dropped on the pan or griddle splatter.
- Adjust the temperature as needed. Can also use an electric griddle with the temperature set at 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Using a piece of paper towel or a pastry brush, lightly brush the pan with melted butter or oil (or spray with a non stick vegetable spray.)
- Using a small ladle or scoop, pour about 1/4 cup (60 ml) of pancake batter onto the hot pan, spacing the pancakes a few inches apart.
- Evenly sprinkle the uncooked tops of the pancakes with fresh or unthawed frozen blueberries (if using thawed blueberries, blot with a paper towel to remove any moisture).
- When the bottoms of the pancakes are golden brown and bubbles start to appear on the uncooked top surfaces of the pancakes (2-3 minutes), turn over. Cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes) and cooked through.
- Repeat with remaining batter, brushing the pan with melted butter or oil between batches.
- Serve immediately with butter and maple syrup or your favorite jam.
- You can keep the pancakes warm by placing them directly on the wire rack, ina 175 degree F (80 degree C) oven, for about 15 minutes.
Makes about 8 - 4 inch (10 cm) pancakes. Preparation time about 15 minutes.